Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Epsitle to the Hebrews

I have been reading the New Testament lately. The more I read the KJV, the more I like it. Right now I am reading Paul's Epistle to the Hebrews (Hebrews) and am loving it. As I have been reading I have applied a method of symbolic interpretation I learned from David Peck, a professor of history at BYU-Idaho.

Before I go any further, I must say that David Peck has made a huge difference in religious life. His method of exegesis has helped keep the scriptures alive for me and I am so thankful that, perhaps by accident, I stumbled across his presentation A Stranger and Pilgrim.

Hebrews is full of temple imagery and symbolism. Margaret Barker, a non-Mormon researcher a theologian, wrote about it in her book Temple Symbolism in Early Christianity. After having read that book, and listening to Peck's presentation, I am starting to get it. Hebrews is all about the temple and the role Christ plays in it for us.

Early Christians saw the temple as an important part of their religion. Barker's book makes this evident. I should really reread it sometime.

0 comments: